(Mother of Moulana Sayyid Abul Hasan ‘Ali Nadwi [rahimahumallah] – Part Twelve)

During the last few years of her life, Khairun Nisaa (rahimahallah) had become almost totally helpless. She could barely see as her eyes could not perceive more than light and vague shadows. Her mind, however, was still perfectly functional. Her legs had become extremely weak, to the extent that she could only move about while leaning on someone for support.

Despite her weakness, frailness and her advanced age of over ninety years, she still remained committed and punctual on her zikr, recitation of the Quraan Majeed and other nafl ‘ibaadah. The women, children and other members of the family would constantly visit her and spend time with her in order to benefit from her goodness and blessings.

Once, towards the very end of her life, she became very sick, causing everyone to become worried and anxious. However, with the grace of Allah Ta‘ala, she finally opened her eyes and regained her senses. It was at this time that Moulana Abul Hasan (rahimahullah) was requested to travel to Bhopal to render some service of Deen. However, due to his mother’s condition, he was in a state of hesitancy, unable to decide whether he should go or stay.

In this state of indecision, he mentioned to her that he had been requested to travel to Bhopal. He also mentioned to her, “Mother! I completely submit myself to you! If you are even slightly unhappy, I will not travel. There are still two days remaining (until the journey), whatever you command me to do, I will fulfil.” Khairun Nisaa (rahimahallah) replied, “‘Ali! I will never hold you back from fulfilling the work of Deen. Go! Allah is the protector and helper.”

A few days after Moulana’s (rahimahullah) departure, when she had awoken for Tahajjud Salaah and was being led to the bathroom, due to the darkness and being drowsy, she fell, breaking her shoulder and wrist. On account of her injuries, she was in extreme pain. Message of her fall was sent to Moulana (rahimahullah). As soon as he learnt of it, he returned.

In this state, where her pain and discomfort was increasing and her injured bone was hurting severely, she ensured that she performed all her salaah and completed all her zikr and tasbeeh. Furthermore, she did not utter even a single word that was directly or even indirectly a complaint or an expression of impatience.

The pain which she was undergoing was such that it would have caused even a young, strong man to scream. Yet at 93 years of age, when she was weak and frail; she was an embodiment of patience and gratitude. Thus, she did not allow her tongue to utter anything besides the zikr of Allah Ta‘ala. At the most, when the pain was once very intense, she said, “O Allah! Forgive our sins!”

On the last day of her life, when the time of Chaasht Salaah (Salaatud Dhuha) set in, without saying anything to anyone she began to search for the soil which was normally kept at her head side, so that she could perform tayammum. Seeing that she intended to make tayammum, somebody mentioned to her, “The time of Zuhr has not yet set in.” Hearing this, she remained silent and did not say anything. However, she kept feeling around her with her hand, searching for the soil. The soil was thus given to her and she performed a complete tayammum. She had, by this time, become slightly unresponsive and there were lapses in her concentration. Nevertheless, she performed two rakaats of Chaasht Salaah, after which her awareness further decreased.

When the time of Zuhr set in and the soil of tayammum was brought to her, she performed a complete tayammum and then performed all four rakaats of her Zuhr Salaah. Observing the scene, all the family members marvelled and wondered at how she miraculously regained her concentration and attention when it was time for salaah.

Although she was again unresponsive, strangely enough, she was feeling about with her right hand, as if she was searching for something. The family then realized that she was searching for her tasbeeh, as her tasbeeh would always remain in her hand.

After she fell and was injured, her family had taken the tasbeeh out of her hand as they feared that moving the beads of the tasbeeh would aggravate her injury and cause her pain. However, the habit of making zikr on the tasbeeh was so deeply ingrained in her that her hand automatically searched for the tasbeeh, and in its absence, her fingers formed a circle and rubbed against each other as they continuously moved, as if she was counting on the actual beads of a tasbeeh.

At 3pm, her condition changed and she broke her silence. Now, with every breath that she took, she began to make zikr aloud. Hearing her making zikr aloud in this manner, her family gathered around her. Her zikr of ‘Allah! Allah!’ was so loud and clear that it could even be heard from outside the house. She continued making zikr for approximately three hours and forty-five minutes, and her family members present had never before witnessed a scene of such tranquillity. It seemed as if the mercy of Allah Ta‘ala was raining down.

During her final moments, various people recited Surah Yaseen softly. They did not feel the need to make talqeen (recite the kalimah aloud as a means of prompting and encouraging the dying person to recite it) as she was already engaged in the remembrance of Allah Ta‘ala.

At quarter to six, her zikr abruptly ceased and the environment was enveloped by silence. After a few seconds passed, they realized that her soul had left her body.

In this manner, Khairun Nisaa (rahimahallah), who had spent her entire life exerting herself in the worship and zikr of Allah Ta‘ala, had now departed to her Rabb, and her lifelong restlessness and concern of passing away on imaan was comforted.


1. Even though she was injured, in pain and very advanced in age, Khairun Nisaa (rahimahallah) remained punctual on her salaah and ‘ibaadah. On the other hand, we often shirk in our obligations based on the smallest excuse. On account of this commitment, ‘ibaadah had become her second nature.

2. Khairun Nisaa (rahimahallah) lived a life of obedience and loyalty to Allah Ta‘ala, hence she was blessed with a most envious death. She passed away most peacefully, with the name of Allah Ta‘ala on her lips. If we wish for such a death, we will have to lead our lives like her. If we live with Allah Ta‘ala’s name on our lips, insha-Allah we will die with His name on our lips.