Series on the Speciality of Each Ten Days of Ramadhaan – Part Two
It is the belief of every single Muslim that the entire universe, and every creation in existence, is completely dependent upon Allah Ta‘ala, at every moment, for its continuity, while Allah Ta‘ala is absolutely independent of the creation. Everything that happens in the world only occurs with the permission of Allah Ta‘ala and through His power. Hence, not even a leaf can fall from a tree without the power and permission of Allah Ta‘ala.
Having understood that everything in existence relies upon Allah Ta‘ala, we must realize that we too are completely dependent upon Him at every moment. It is only through Allah Ta‘ala’s mercy that we breathe, that our hearts beat, that our brains function, and that our bodies and organs continue to operate correctly, ensuring our survival and comfort. If Allah Ta‘ala had to deprive us of His mercy for even a moment, we would be absolutely finished and destroyed, as we would simply cease to function.
Just as our physical continuity and progress is dependent on Allah Ta‘ala’s mercy, our Deeni and spiritual progress is likewise dependent on Him. It is only through His mercy that we feel inspired to perform salaah, feel motivated towards righteousness, feel encouraged to repent, feel inclined to obeying Him, etc. In essence, we are completely dependent on the mercy of Allah Ta‘ala, at every moment, for both our physical and spiritual continuity and progress. However, we must realize that the more we obey Allah Ta‘ala, the more He will bless us with His mercy and the more we will progress, and the more we disobey Him, the more we will be deprived of His mercy.
Nevertheless, there are certain actions which are ‘keys’ to the special mercy of Allah Ta‘ala, as Rasulullah (sallallahu ‘alaihi wasallam) had himself made du‘aa for the people carrying out these actions to be blessed with Allah Ta‘ala’s special mercy.
With the first ten days of Ramadhaan being the ten days of Allah Ta‘ala’s special mercy, we should try to commence practising on these actions during these ten days, thus making them a part of our lives thereafter as well. In this way, we will hopefully attract the special mercy of Allah Ta‘ala.
Some of these actions are:
- To awake for Tahajjud Salaah, and thereafter wake one’s spouse to perform Tahajjud Salaah as well, even if one has to assist them to awaken by sprinkling a few drops of water on their face. (Sunan Abi Dawood #1450)
- Performing the four sunnats before the ‘Asr Salaah. (Sunan Tirmizi #430)
- Speaking words which are rewarding (i.e. speaking any words through which one will be rewarded e.g. encouraging people towards righteousness, or speaking permissible words that bring cheer to people’s hearts, etc.). (Shu‘abul Imaan #4589)
- Remaining silent in the case where one’s words will cause one to become sinful (e.g. not engaging in backbiting, slander, gossip, carrying tales, etc.). (Shu‘abul Imaan #4589)
- For a woman to dress in a manner that appropriately conceals her body. (Shu‘abul Imaan #7422)
- Being lenient and soft when purchasing, selling and claiming payment. (Saheeh Bukhaari #2076)
May Allah Ta‘ala shower His mercy upon us all, throughout our lives, and may He assist us all to adhere to these actions, aameen.